Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Additions at the Funderburks

We love our little house on College Avenue and these would be our latest additions:

New Addition Number One. Red Door :: Blue Bench
We have had a new side door for over a year and have been meaning to paint it. I wanted to paint it a really glossy red, but next to the door was a red bench so that had to be repainted as well. When all was said and done, I looked at it all and LOVED it.

And then I wondered why I am so keen to color. I remembered when I was in Scotland, I was so impressed with the brave use of color everywhere:

And I thought about back home how everyone sticks to very basic and boring natural tones. Don't get me wrong, that can be very beautiful, but the color speaks to me!

New Addition Number Two. Telephone Booth :: Uh huh, a Telephone Booth

Leave it to my husband, who has an eye for genuinely cool things, to always manage to find them. In the property next to his shop, he spotted a 70's era telephone booth. He thought "Nicole is always taking pictures of telephone booths." And, I guess he's right:

St. Andrews, Scotland

St. George, Utah

St. George, Utah - again.


Not exactly a phone booth, but close enough. Edinburgh, Scotland

He took me over to look at it and I fell in love. So he inquired with the property owner, who just happened to need some window well covers, and voila, the trade was made. It is interesting to think about how phone booths are becoming extinct.


We love this funky addition to our back yard. Neither of the photos of these two additions do them any justice, so you just need to come over and see them in person. We'll let you make a "collect call" from the phone booth.

11 comments:

Caytee said...

I LOVE IT!! THat is great!

Maeve said...

I love that blue bench. Where did you find that. Looks so good. You will be happy to know when Brad finishes painting our house our door will be a bright cheering yellow.

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

I seriously love your style!!! I want to be just like you...really, I may start stalking you to steal all your awesome ideas of decorating.

Heather said...

Love it...I have the same red side door, it matches my red barn that I painted a few years ago. Chocolate brown has been my paint color lately... picket fence and pergola.

Glenda said...

Love this post! So clever! You two are always coming up with something fun! Your bright colors compliment your house!!

Stephanie Black said...

I love it! It looks fun. I LOVE color too after living in FL. It is very boring to come back to UT and see lots of brown. The phone booth is awesome, although it cracks me up with you and phonebooths!

Michelle said...

I just love it all even the quirky phone booth. Andy is so sweet to think of you in that way. Very clever to bring in the photo history as well.

Brooke said...

Such a cute post! You are Funkylicious!!!

Jen said...

Love it all. You are a girl after my own heart when it comes to color. I need to swing by for a visit to see the rest of what I'm sure is a very fabulous casa del Funderburk.

Dezaree said...

ha ha! I love it! Need to come and see it!

Bryan, Jaime, and Boys said...

Nicole! I freakin love you! Seriously... your house is so cute! Come breathe some life into my lil' shack... would ya? I miss you! :)