Monday, April 19, 2010

The Before & After

We converted our back bathroom (which we have never really used as a bathroom) into a utility, storage, mudroom, office area. This is after the old tile was torn up:




I know, I know. It's a small room. You're probably wondering how this room is going to accommodate utility, storage, mudroom, and office functions. Well, welcome to living in a small 1920's home. You sort of have to become an expert at making things fit and work in small spaces. And with a new baby coming to our home, the office/craft/storage/guest bedroom is taking on a new identity: nursery.

This is the shelving in progress as Andy was building it:

And here is the end result:

I love it! It serves the functions of mudroom, coat closet, tool shelf, office space, file storage, pantry, and much more. I am so pleased with how it turned out - Andy never ceases to amaze me with his abilities. I'm a lucky girl. Please forgive these photos - the room is small and it was hard to get a good angle:
The only things we need to still finish is the desk area which will be a little lower and won't be on boards - it will be secured/braced and appear to be suspending. Also, we need to do baseboards and drill a hole in the right hand cabinet for cords to run into the power strip that is hidden away in the cabinet. I say "we" but we all know this is Andy's game! Now that I have a functional place to store so much, the nursery can be completed. It's getting close and I'm so excited to share updates soon!

10 comments:

Loni said...

Nicole I am so jealous of you. Really, really jealous. Please send Andy over to my house sometime...PLEASE! :) P.S. I can't wait to see you nursery!

Kate said...

I love it! It's gorgeous.

Higbee said...

I love looking at all your before and afters!!!!!

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Wow! Andy never ceases to amaze me too! Boy's got some mad handyman skilz! I really want to be just like you guys when I get married.

Ken, Julia, Rue, & Atlas too! said...

I remember that bathroom from when Ken lived with Andy. It functions much better the way you've set it up. What a great work space!! Way to go Andy!!

Glenda said...

I am so glad I got to see this in real! It is so amazing, and Andy is Super Amazing! You two see a vision and work miracles to make it happen! Love it, now the nursery can be born!!

Holly said...

It turned out amazing! Andy is so fast! Wasn't I just there?!

breezy said...

LOVE IT! YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this!! Such a great idea! Our 1940's house is in need of some storage space itself! I may have to get Andy to give us some fresh ideas... we're out of them! :) Great pics!

Bryan, Jaime, and Boys said...

Are you kidding me???? Are you freaking kidding me???!!! When are you going to have your own show on HGTV???
Nicole! You are amazing... the end