Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Travel Story

When I was on my travels for work, something kind of hilarious happened to me that I have been meaning to share.

I was traveling in the ever-so-swanky State Dodge minivan. I had planned to stay the weekend with my parents in between the two weeks of graduate fairs to save some traveling and to save SUU some money (this proved to be a very bad idea because I was away from Andy for waaaay too long).

After the BYU Idaho Graduate Fair, I drove home to Randolph. As is very usual for me, I urgently needed to go to the bathroom as soon as I arrived. I stuffed the keys in my pants pocket and ran for the basement toilet. After I went to the bathroom I reached behind me and flushed the toilet while still seated (I always do this). Then I stood up, pulled my pants up and all of a sudden I heard a "clank". I turned my head to look at the toilet and the keys were long gone. I went into panic mode and called Andy. I got a wire hanger and tried to feel for the keys but nothing. I assumed the keys were in the septic tank by now. The next day I made arrangements to have Andy get an extra set of keys from the Motor Pool at SUU and he overnighted them to me.

We kind of forgot about it and didn't use that toilet until about 24 hours later when someone did use that toilet. It wouldn't flush - we were in a mess. My dad got home from his meetings and ended up taking the whole toilet apart. He emerged from the bathroom with a pair of pliers holding a very nasty looking set of keys. It was all pretty hilarious and when I got back from my trip everyone on campus had heard the dilemma and we all had a good laugh.

So my new motto is "Keys in the purse - not in the pocket."

6 comments:

Parry's said...

It gross. It is funny but so awfully gross. Dad is amazing at how he does anything we tell him or ask him. Please tell me you listened to Andy and threw the keys away!

The Funderburks said...

Oh yes, we tossed the keys.

Holly said...

Yeah in the purse not the pocket! I am so glad you threw them away! You are silly!!

the stahle's said...

That is so funny! I hate when things like that happen!

Glenda said...

Oh we will never forget that story!! I think your dad is right , plumbers are way underpaid!! The best part of that weel=end was getting my storage room cleaned out, Thanks!!

brianabingham said...

Oh, that is so funny and sad and gross! We love you!